Thread: N20 engine
View Single Post
      04-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

N20 engine

So my 35i was in for oil change and got a 328 xdrive. I know people beat on loaners but the engine in sport mode sounded like a lawn mower. Is this normal? Even in comfort mode the engine was not smooth.

My thoughts overall is that there is no doubt the engine got some go. Decent fit and finish on the interior. I do not like the instrument cluster design as it looks so plain. Handling is great but steering is numb and you have no idea what the front wheels are doing. I like the revised I drive as it is simple and intuitive now. The vehicle had 17s so ride quality was good and road impacts were largely suppressed given the higher ratio sidewall on the tires. I like the new interior lights and how they fade. there's definitely more soft touch materials inside than our X1s. transmission being an 8speed keeps the engine humming...er mowing in the sweet part of the band. Don't like the shifter. I prefer a nice PRND basic shifter. Strange pressing a button to park.

Also drove Audi A4 with 2.0T and engine is smoother and better sounding. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't N20 to be replaced with next gen 4cylinder turbo perhaps with further tweaks.

Overall its a nice vehicle with engine in need some refinement.
Appreciate 0