View Single Post
      03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #81
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocGuy View Post
It was about 65F out. Normally I'm looking at 28/29-ish for pure freeway driving.
Gas consumption is sensitive to your driving style. Some people drive fast and some drive slowly. They get quite different mpg numbers. I think the official EPA is achieved under the conditions that (1) flat land, (2) good whether, and (3) keep constant speed at 50-60 mph. I did some tests on highway. If I (1) frequently push gas and pass everyone that blocks me and (2) never look at the instant mpg needle, I usually get 28-29 mpg. I can alway achieve the official EPA number (33 mpg, my car is xDrive28i) if I strictly follow the following rules: (1) keep constant speed at 60-70, (2) just follow the car in front of you and never pass anyone, (3) constantly look at the instant mpg needle to maximize the instant mpg -- slightly push gas only when speed drops below 60. Spring is coming and whether becomes better, you can try my rules mentioned above to see if you can achieve the EPA number. We cannot say BMW lies because the EPA is achieved under some conditions. Anyway, no matter your drive style is and whether you can achieve the EPA number, X1 is one of best premium crossovers in terms of gas consumption.
Appreciate 0