View Single Post
      10-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I have got the 322 wheels which are also staggered (different width front and rear).

The main difference is that visually the wider rears give a more aggressive stance looking from the rear. The rear wheels on X1 is quite close to the rear bumper so the difference visually is more pronounced than say a 3 series.

I don't think it would make any difference to a AWD. Firstly the difference in profile 40 at the back vs 45 at the front means that both front and rear tyres have the same total diameter once mounted (more or less - 0.45x225 = 101.25, 0.4x255 = 102, so overall difference in diameter is just 0.75 x 2 = 1.5mm).

Secondly BMW uses open diffs for its x drive system with a wet multi plate clutch to split the torque so really it should make no difference what wheel sizes either axles are driving.

The actual 323 wheels won't be the same dimension - the rears will be wider but the diameter should be the same.

The difference in tyre profile is to compensate for the difference in tyre width. Profile is just a percentage of the actual tyre width.
Appreciate 0