View Single Post
      12-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
The dealer said that removing the tray would cause CanBus faults since it is hard wired.
I have found another place for my Kimber Ultra Carry II Custom Shop. It is really too bad that the center console is almost worthless.
Disappointing. (That removing it could cause faults, not that you found another place for the Kimber).

I have no technical capacity to contest the dealer, and clearly the cable has a power feed to it so it's there should you decide to plug in, but does anyone know (a) if CanBus monitors the resistance or capacitance of things like this cable/connector that are not actually being used, just in case, or (b) whether this cable or connector is part of an always-functioning loop in the electrical/stereo/iDrive system?
If the answer to both is "no," then I would think disconnecting the cable or tucking it away under the console after removing the annoying/useless/disappointing/over-engineered plastic tray shouldn't cause an electrical fault unless the cable is shorted. Even if the answer is yes, however, I would think that it should still be possible to work around that to not induce the fault...
Appreciate 0