View Single Post
      05-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #28
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Grilles are being delivered today via FedEx and those pick tools won't arrive until Monday. Found the following from the 5Series forum and was wondering if anyone has tried the grab and pull method?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseofpang View Post
I just put on some gloves, grabbed the middle fins and pulled out the top tabs then the bottoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseofpang View Post
Yea that's the word I was looking for too, it's ok to pull with force, just make sure it is slow and constant pressure, don't yank fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
Gloves, or a thin towel stuffed in between the fins when you reach in to pull are a great way to protect your knuckles from losing a lot of skin. It really only takes a minute per side, and a few pounds of pressure. No tools, no unscrewing the bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighungry618 View Post
Steps follow below:

1. Grab vertical slats (fins) near the top with your hands evenly spaced apart on the grille....
2. Wiggle and pull slightly down (towards the ground) and towards you firmly but gently.
3. Drink adult beverage.
4. Repeat step 3

Boom...F10 grille removal complete.
:thumbup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
I just came home from a drive-by on my Encinitas San Diego BMW dealership. I asked for their expert opinion on how to do the grill removal. The parts and body shop guys met me at my car and they showed me how they do it. They just yank those bad-boys right out. The body shop guy took mine out and put them back in less than a minute just to make his point that it is very easy to do.
I did notice that his technique was to pull outwards and downwards with his hands holding the fins a few spaces in from the edges.
Appreciate 0