View Single Post
      09-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #39
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

E60 M5's won't ever really appreciate in value because of their absolute horrible reliability. I even heard BMW stopped making SMG transmissions now, so good luck finding a new one WHEN your unit fails.

I wouldn't mind paying $50k USD for a mint E39 M5 now or in the future. I think the narrator nails it when he talks about the last BMW's to really drive like the "Ultimate Driving Machine." I myself am looking forward to the G20 340i if they offer it here in America with an optional Manual Transmission, not for the driving feel, but to just drive a new and modern regular BMW again that is smooth, quite, and analog with all of the new technology that I do actually like. I'd be willing to bet that a 2019 G20 M340i will squeak out a better lap time than an E46 M3 too.

The problem with buying a used E46 M3 or E39 M5 in mint condition and paying those kinds of prices is that you can't have those cars as your only car, even if you have a plenty of money. One, because it would be a shame to put so many miles on those mint examples for use as a daily driver, but two, because they are so sparse on technology that it actually limits their practicality as an "only" car. When these cars do appreciate in value to the levels that the narrator talks about, the only people who will be buying them are the people who will be adding them to their collection of vehicles of garage queens.

Appreciate 1