06-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #18
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
I am in Canada. Toronto area. I bought the car used at what I feel is a low price knowing it needed a timing chain to be done. The car was running and driving and I hadn't experienced a timing chain failure. I bought it and parked it until the job was done.

I had the timing chain and tensioner. Timing chain rail/guides. Oil pump chain, guides and tensioner. Also did the spark plugs. Had a walnut blasting/carbon cleaning on the intake valves.

All said and done I paid $2150 Canadian including a a front strut mount that was worn.

This price was parts and labour
Honestly, that's not a bad price for the amount of labor it looks like there is involved. This is similar to the price of a timing belt/water pump replacement on other vehicles.

They should honestly just put out a TSB stating the chain/guides should be replaced at 90k or 9 years... Maybe it's out there and I just haven't seen it.

This makes me feel more comfortable about keeping my X1 and maybe I will get bold enough to attempt replacing the chain/guides myself at some point in the future. If I do, I'll try to post up a guide.

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0