05-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan0880 View Post
thanks for the reply..

If you're 02/15 model year, you should be ok anyway. I'm in the red zone for this as mine was manufactured late 2012...

"This issue btw is way overdone, only a small percentage of vehicles will have the chain break. Though of course you want to monitor it.."

This is what I'm trying to get a feel for, if it's one of those internet things that get's blown out of proportion, if it was really that bad, you'd think BMW would do a full recall....
I think the timing chain issue goes later than that, because our shop - which I consider the best BMW shop in our area - does check it with every oil change.

But regardless, the best way to 'get a feel' for this issue is to talk to some good shop mechanics and have them look at your vehicle. I've spoken to several that said that while they were aware of the issue, they hadn't ever personally seen a broken one. OTOH all you need to do is read 3 or 4 internet posts about broken chains/guides and it's easy to think it's a huge issue - which it isn't. That said of course, BMW should've stepped up to the plate and fixed the ones that broke, imo. I admit I'd be furious if ours failed.

Btw I've read not using the stop/start feature saves a lot of wear on the chain, as well as not driving like a maniac. For us, we never use the stop/start feature anyway, because I've always figured 'well duh, obviously it increases wear on the drivetrain'. Not just in BMWs but in any vehicle that has the feature, imo.

Good luck, get your X1 looked at.
Appreciate 0