View Single Post
      09-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Remlaw Silo
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Tyres - Goodyear EfficientGrip - Possible supply shortage in Australia

Hi All,

Last week I decided to get a quote for a new tyre just in case I needed to replace one at some stage. Basically I just wanted to find out how expensive a RunOnFlat tyre was going to be. The tyre that I was after was a Goodyear EfficientGrip 225/45R18. Not surprisingly my local tyre dealer did not stock them and when he rang his supplier he was informed that they were not listed on the supplier’s stock listing. In fact the supplier got the dealer to go and physically check my car’s tyres to ensure that I had written the code down correctly (which I had). Anyway to cut a long story short the supplier after some delay informed the dealer that there were no tyres of this specific type (i.e. brand & size) in the country and there wouldn’t be for at least six months! I found this a bit hard to believe and I am wondering if anyone else has any information on this.

If it turns out that the advice is correct and there is a need to replace a tyre then to avoid the situation of having 3 tyres of one brand and a 1 tyre of another brand on the car it is going to be necessary to replace two tyres which is a rather expensive option. Incidentally I do have tyre and rim insurance so I would be curious to know if the insurance would cover the cost of two tyres because I believe that safety would be compromised by having different types of tyres/tread patterns on the same axle. Lastly the price that I was quoted was AUD$465 (or $498 for the other brand – which I forget to write down the details although it might have been for Bridgestone). Maybe I should be looking at importing some tyres whilst the Australian dollar is high in which case I wonder how long you can store tyres before the rubber starts to deteriorate (does anyone know?).
Appreciate 0