Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
"Even at"? Back when I lived in inland Scandinavia, -20C to -30C (-4F to -22F) was the common January temperature range, and you could count on hitting -40 (either scale) at least once. That's real temperatures, none of that "feels like" windchill stuff the sissies over here reckon.
That's a No Go for diesel engines without an electric or gas powered engine block heater. So as you can imagine, there's a big market for 3rd party engine block heaters, and a fair amount of cussing over the many BMW models where you can't even fit one, and the best you can do is an oil pan heater (which won't help when the engine block sucks the heat right out of the pistons so the diesel won't ignite).
Your 335d must be an older model, because from what I can tell, you can't even fit one on the newer models.

For inland Scandinavia, Siberia, Alaska and non-border-hugging Canada, BMW diesels just aren't really the best option for winter use, and it's a shame that they've become less heavy winter friendly over the years, both with the lack of block heaters and winter wheel/tyre combinations with no sidewall, low rolling resistance and great wet grip, which is exactly the opposite of what you want for truly cold weather. I was surprised that I couldn't even get studded tires for the X1 from BMW anymore. But at least they sell a petrol version.
I think you didnt read my comments properly. I didnt talk about feels like temps or external heaters. BMW diesel cars come with electric block heaters and there is no NEED of 3rd PARTY heaters. This equips BMW diesels (offered in NA) hassle free starting in cold environments and makes it competent with BMW gassers. All my comparisons were based on 35i and 35d engines. I have no knowledge of other diesel engines but I am pretty sure they too have electric block heaters.
X1 is not offered with Diesel variant is because of marketing reasons. Let X1 enter FXX series and you should be seeing diesel variant (provided mindset of average north american changes).
Avg NA driver doesnt like diesel and it requires mind drift to accept diesel. I have met numerous people who have admired my car for its performance but as soon as they realize its diesel they wouldnt believe coz they see no black smoke and no starting issues. They have never realized how far technology has advanced in diesels specially BMW.

I was lurking in this pond to help my friend get X1 and saw this thread. It amazes me even most BMW enthusiast fail to understand how far diesel technology has come.
Appreciate 0