12-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Engine Overheating Warning - Limp Mode

Morning Everyone,

2014 BMW X1 35i.

On the way to work today, I got a yellow warning that the engine was running hot and to drive carefully. This was, on the highway, I was cruising along fine for 45 minutes. Oil temp gauge normal. Maybe even a little bit on the cold side. But it's 29* out, at 80mph on the highway, I didn't think anything of it.

Before I could pull over ( 1 mile to exit) the red warning appeared and the car went into limp mode. I could hear the fans running hard,

I'm guessing this is the dreaded water pump. I don't have an code scanner at the moment.

I will say, yesterday, I noticed the heater was blowing cold randomly. It was right after I turned the heat down from HIGH to like 78*. I I didn't think much of it. But now, it's probably connected.

With this being a known problem, is there one of those warranties on this similar to the footwell module? I think I remember getting a letter about the thermostat, but I can't remember.

My car only has 56,000 miles..... I know they tend to fail, and I've seen some on the X3 reported at 35k, but damn. :/

Last edited by SharpAndCunning; 12-15-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0