View Single Post
      10-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #91
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
I've got a good feel for it but the issue is if you're driving in manual mode and you don't want to downshift you can't go past the kick down and therefore you can't achieve maximum throttle/performance without downshifting. The throttle does not open all the way unless you go past the kick down point. At some point I may try to install a gas pedal from a manual e9x without the kick down button and see what happens. It's particularly annoying when you just want to pass someone on the highway. There's usually no reason to downshift and I just want to accelerate smoothly in a higher gear. There's plenty of torque to get the job done without downshifting.
Avoiding the high loads of tall gear, deep throttle on turbo engines would be the only reason you may welcome the shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
The WOT is at the kick down resistance point, after that is just a switch to tell the auto transmission to kick down.
Yup, like just about all cars with an autotrans.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0