View Single Post
      07-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
I got the 28i primarily for 2 reasons: I greatly preferred the 8 spd transmission over the 6, and I have a rather long highway commute, so wanted the better gas mileage (if I baby it, I'm in low-mid 30s mpg). I had the Dinan stage 1 added at time of purchase, which really gives it some added zip (Dinan says they tested peak hp at 312). It's a 2013 Sport - had it 16 months and really enjoying it. I also added a trailer hitch, and about 6 weeks ago installed Bilstein B12 Kit - so much fun to drive! Once in a while I wish I had the 35i, but really - this was the better choice for me.
That's a really good point. for $1500 I can add the dinan and be pretty close to the 35i, and have the 8 speed transmission. It'd have to worry about warranty, etc, but otherwise It'd probably be happy. Hmmm... now I'm thinking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
No regrets whatsoever on getting a 28i.

As it is my daily driver, gas mileage was a factor to me and I much preferred the 8 speed transmission.

It's certainly not like the 4 banger is a slouch. You've pretty much got to go to an STi to find a small SUV/hatchback to match the performance.
I don't quite know about that. The ecoboost 2.0t is in the ballpark, as is the 2.0t that Hyundai makes(albeit hyundai's are big steaming piles, I own one, I know. And it's a Genesis, their flagship).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
In the end only you can decide if you could be happy with the 28i. If you don't have a real "need" to buy one now, you may well be better off trying to find the perfect match.

Just remember, that can be much easier said than done especially one with low miles. There really were not very many of the E84s sold in the US. I don't think I've seen 2015 numbers, but I would definitely guess that the 2012-2015 total was less than 100K and I would expect that the vast majority were the 28i.

Ultimately you've got to decide what you are willing to compromise on (engine. price, model, features, etc).

If I could buy a new 2016/2017 35i, I would. I wish it'd driven a 35i back when they were still available new. But you're right, the right car will eventually come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I test drove both and even though the 35i had a way better engine, I could not get past the transmission. Coming from a dual clutch, it felt dated.
This is the only BMW with that engine transmission combo, it is like they tried to get rid of old stock.
For a daily driver the 28i is more than most people need.
If the 35i had the 8 speed I would have had one.
I agree, the transmission is a bit odd. But the car really cranks. I'm not sure I can agree that the 28i is more than most people need. It's certainly not quick by todays standards. There are v6 camry's on the road faster. No offense to anyone with the 28i.
Appreciate 0