06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
You definitely want the HK upgrade. I have the "hi fi" system (which is the base system in the U.S., and the middle option in Canada) and I'm not impressed... it's one of my only complaints with the car.
There's not a lot of difference between the two, and not all of it for the better. The H-K has surround, which sounds rather awful when playing stereo, but thankfully that can be disabled.
It does have slightly clearer tweeters.
And an equalizer that while roughly stepped is better than nothing.
The bass is still muddy thumping made for those a lot more urban than I am, and doesn't go deep enough to deserve being called sub-woofers; there's really nothing lower than 50 Hz, and no way to keep a sustained tone below 100 or so.
You can have the CD rip and store music for you on the HD - I'm not sure whether that's a feature with the business / hi-fi system too. But unless you don't care about quality, you don't want to do that - a sampling rate of 128 kbps is awful.
Volume-wise, you can't play really loud in either. Car watts are not like other watts.

The HK system helps. It's not great. Unless you think 128k MP3s of new rock and rap sounds great, in which case you'll be well served by either.
Appreciate 0