View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Another lost sale? If BMW are reading this perhaps a review of what it is that creates and attracts a person to a premium brand is required? With the Range Rover Evogue having already taken 30,000 orders, and Clarkson giving it 5* plus in The Sunday Times this weekend, can BMW afford not to investigate potential customers concerns? Reputations that take years to create can be lost overnight as a result of little more than iffy PR. I am also a first time (BMW) buyer so had certain expectations of the BMW brand/ownership experience that I'm pleased to say have been met about 95% of the time.

The positives: Great design with a lot of future development potential. Still technically ahead of 'the competition'. Selling well in all markets and producing high profit margins. Great after sales support and range of options to personalise your car, Reasonable running costs. I guess that's a tick in the box then. Right?

My X1 was built in Spring 2010. It was very high spec and the only problem that I've had was the rubber windscreen seal (sympton 'fixed' but NOT the cause). No rattles or problems with runflats (18" wheels), and excellent driving dynamics/performance. It cost me nearly £41k of my hard earned capital, and while I really like the car I still have a nagging doubt that I've not got value for money.

I also know from experience that if you purchase an entry level model of any car it's not going to be more than a basic tool (I don't consider £41k entry level!). However when you're buying a premium brand you DO have expectations that even the base model will have a feeling of the 'brands' usp's/quality (think VW group and the basic Golf or even Skoda).

The problem if there is one, is clearly not the design or engineering of the X1 so must be something else. My thoughts are: a reduction from specification in the quality of some of the materials used. This could be a result of pressure on procurement, sourcing from suppliers and putting their margins under too much pressure, poor quality control due to high levels of demand, accountants seeking to maximise profits at the cost of customer satisfaction, brand and customer life time value.

So does BMW's range extention strategy perhaps need a little refining, or materials quality control need tightening?

I for one would hate to see BMW's brand tarnished, so come on BMW sort these very minor issues out and do what you do best.....be the best. The X1 is a great vehical

Last edited by Mulberry; 10-31-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0