View Single Post
      10-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

If you post more info about what you're looking for that will sway opinions. I'm in the same boat, debating on the 28 and 35. For me I want xenon lights (lots of deer out here) but with 28i you have to buy the premium package and the 35 it and the sunroof are included so there's $400 difference for me.

For my thoughts at the moment Pro 35:
Has more power, especially over 50mph.
Top 'model of the X1 line
Better looking wheels IMO (I like the summer performance option that's $0 cost)
Servo steering is standard (wife might really like, you might not)
Engine sounds better IMO
Cons of 35i:
Worse gas millage than 28 (Others should confirm, but I think it's only about 3-5MPG less in the real world worse than the 28, as some people report the 28 is not hitting numbers they expected. Some people said they hit 35mpg on the highway for the 35 and some report 29MPG max in the 28)
Pro's of the 28i:
Newer engine, more effecient (and avaliable/used on just about every BMW series)
8 speed transmission (quicker shifting and gives better MPG)
Possibly cheaper (unless you wanted xenon or sunroof which are about $1k each, so only $2k more for the 35i engine) depending on what options you want
Cons:
Less power
Lots of extra gear shifting (some it bothers, others like it)
ECO mode (ASS mode can be turned off though)
And two possible issues I'm watching, the 8 speed transmission doesn't have the cleanest history so far, not anything to worry about if you're not keeping the car but I plan to drive it 10-15 years (until it's dead) and I am not sure 8 speed will last longer than the older 6 speed with a better history. I also wonder how the ECO/ASS will effect the life of the starter motor and engine. So far it seems good but it's riskier IMO.

One thing I'm still checking into is if the 28i or 35i have the same brakes. I thought I rear somewhere the 35i or a certain trim had bigger brakes but I can't seem to find that information again.
Appreciate 0