View Single Post
      02-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #26
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Questions,Questions,Questions....

Quote:
I don't like what BMW is doing with the M models. Too many M models. Plus how can they have SUV M models and not a M7?

The M brand tradition is going down the drain......

On another note....BMW is going to make X4s? Ridiculous! X6, X4, 5GT, 3GT, Grand Coupes.......what's next? Minivans?
M needs more models to sustain its growth , the more M models that sell the more innovative and experimental M cars get and the brand itself - flourish as a fully fledged sub-brand.
M just could not survive with the M3 and M5 which was the case ten years ago. M is now globally recognised and global demand and no longer specifics determine the product strategy.

An M7 would be counterproductive as the BMW M5 and forthcoming BMW M6 Gran Coupe will do the job perfectly.

BMW are in the process of finishing development of the first FWD BMW - The 1er Compactive Sport Tourer - a cross between a Touring and MPV aimed at capturing the growth markets for this segment which are expected to grow to about 45% more. Think of the CST as a direct competitor for the Mercedes-Benz B-Klasse which BMW have been consulted by customers throughout Europe looking for such a concept from BMW.

You will see the CST as a Concept later this year but the latest Autobild have a fairly accurate render of the side and rear of the car - The front still needs work.

Quote:
Scott, Do you know if the X1 will still be produced in Leipzig or would it get moved to SC? Also, any word on the transmission? colors (any exclusive colors)?, packages (would love a contrasting stitching or bucket Recaro-style seats). Ah, dreams...
For the foreseeable future , Leipzig will be the base for the X1 and next generation model as it will share the modular platform with the small BMW family. No definite answer on transmission - the US will always want the manual, I suppose... Given that BMW are emulating their MINI brand with specific programmes and accessories which for MINI is very profitable and kept in check with full warranty without risk to it. I am sure the X1 will receive Performance accessories line.

Quote:
Scott, will the X4 and X4M have a bench rear seat? Please?!
I think we have learned the lesson with the X6 to offer the choice to the customer.

Quote:
Sounds great but what about the X2?

I'm also please to note that BMW have accepted (at last ) that they made mistakes cutting the quality of the interior materials for the first generation X1's (accountant's 'pencil sharpening' went too far?). Will this mean some form of retro fit compensation for the 'early adopters'/initial loyal customers? I'm currently considering my next change of vehical and am being actively pursued by Porsche, Aston Martin (don't know why as I have never shown an interest in their cars), Infiniti (simply amazing deals on their 3.0d four wheel drive, quality plus cheaper than a loaded X1 M Sport!!) and of course Audi. It's going to be an interesting year.
They are still deliberating over what to do with the X2 there is two choices - a 2dr Coupe-like variant of the next X1 which is cost-effective or a stand alone concept based from the idea for the "Y" series which uses the design language from the Z family with a raised driving position - think of the original X Coupe Concept but based on the 1er modular architecture. But effectively will be an AWD Coupe and not a sleeker SAV. And given BMW's tendencies to open a new niche could become the X2 offering something new to the segment.

We wont officially admit that the X1 has evidence of cost-effective trim officially but we are familiar and we do read the media reports. So every niggle and issue a customer directs to is rectified within the boundaries.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 02-18-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0