mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
What a bizarre switch of car choices.

The X1 is selling like mad in Europe, it is now the best selling SUV, my dealer reckons many are saying the new X3 is just too bloated, I had one on an overnight demo and didn't like it, took it back the same afternoon. Then took the X5 out and found that better for some reason, but still didn't excite me like my 535d sport touring or 335i sport touring did.
So decided I would be boring and buy my third E91, but the dealer told me to take his X1 sDrive 20d manual out for a spin as he thought I would like it, that was last Monday, by Friday I had a 2010 one sat on my drive.

It is more like a newer 3 series touring allroad than an X car imho, it keeps the handling and dynamics of the 3 series but far more comfy and a slightly raised drive height, nothing major, but still higher.

When you drive the X1 and X3 back to back you have to really want a 4x4 to want the X3, the X1 is just another BMW with a little extra practicality and a fresh new design, it makes the X3 look very dull imho.
Oh I totally agree, which is why I keep on raving about it to colleagues and friends. I have posted it elsewhere on this forum but I road tested quite a few cars from all the various manufacturers like Audi, Merc, BMW etc to find a good family car. I went into this with no preconceptions and found the X1 ticking all the boxes. Its a brilliant drive which is important to me, yet has all the practicality of a small estate for the family. The fact that its also available in 4x4 became all the more important in the severe winter we have just had. I actually went out in it during heavy snow on my winter tyres, for fun

Oh, and I am getting 54mpg average on the motorway and 34mpg in the city..in a 4x4...with a auto box...and I don't spare the horses....and I am having a lot of fun..

I will actually go so far as to say that I believe the X1 is very, very underrated by the media.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 07-06-2011 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0