View Single Post
      10-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #27
Jossen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 to come...

Well I am about to buy an X1 16d(yep, the lowest one) mainly because of CO2 emission taxations up here in Europe.

Did some research and a 16d can be upped basically from 116hp to 180hp which is actually real close to the standard 184hp of a 2.0d engine.

The standard cost difference between these two engines is basically 4000 Euro. So I am saving myself a buck here. The tuning costs about 600 Euro.

I will see if the car can handle the horsepower in a comfortable ratio to the standard brakes. If I would up the engine to 180hp I might order BMW Performance Brake option, that is basically the cost of the engine difference of a 16d to a 18d, 1500 Euro.

So -in all- a cost saving of 3500 Euro without the brakes or 2100 Euro with, PLUS I get an insurance by the tuner for any mishaps over a period of 2 years. By then the car will almost be at the point of being sold due to mileage.

I would never tamper myself by buying a plastic box with some chip in it and then clutter and tamper with it myself, this really can't be a healthy way of treating the car.

I would only get it done by a tuner who can make core changes to the BMW-chip.
Appreciate 0