View Single Post
      08-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #161
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemind View Post
I test drove an X1 35i with Msport last night fully loaded. I was hoping to jump to this car, as I'm coming from a e92 335i xDrive and I wanted a factory suspension that was better than xDrive, but still maintain the power of the turbo 6. The suspension was awesome, however, I can attest to these slow 0 - 60 times. It's a different engine obviously (n54 vs n55), but it just didn't feel as punchy as my 335i. I hammered it pretty hard using the paddle shifters, and when I got back in my car, I pretty much decided that I wasn't going to bother changing cars. I can deal with it being slightly heavier and a tad higher, but the engine just doesn't seem to pull nearly as hard.

If BMW planned on doing a PPK for the X1 335i, I think that extra 25/30 hp would really help the cause, but as of now, I can't justify losing power to upgrade the suspension and gain some cargo space. I think I'm going to just upgrade to KW V1's. It's a shame because I really wanted to like the X1. All these above 6 seconds 0 - 60 times can't just be a coincidence.
Not sure where you got the 6 second thing from. TFL does a show on the X1 335 xDrive and it does 6.10 & 5.99 0-60. But at 6000 feet! Same X1 is 5.21 at sea level with a normal (no brake boosting) launch (there is a video of it on here somewhere).
In contrast, the new Jeep SRT8 (my favorite comparo) ran a 4.85 at sea level, but only a 6.10 at 6000 feet.

Also, the X1 is only going to be about a tenth slower to 60 and maybe a quarter second slower in the quarter than the sedan.
(Weigh difference of 180 pounds and better aero for the sedan)

The sedan will be a little faster/better handling than the X1. No doubt. If that is your criteria, get the sedan. I gave up a little for the ground clearance, smooth ride, and ease of use for skiing gear. I test rode the N55 sedan 335 xDrive. It does feel much faster, but isn't. Sitting lower also makes it feel faster.
Have you considered Dinan? For either sedan or X1 it will give you the power you want (or JB4, etc if not concerned about warranty).
TFL show was a big part of my decision for buying the X1 (I wanted a SUV).
If you don't need/want the "advantages" of a crossover SUV the sedan is a better performer.
Appreciate 0