View Single Post
      02-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #63
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
All manufacturers (except some well publicised USA dinosaurs) are going this way. Although I would hazard a guess Sir that your views are not entirely representative of the majority of drivers in NA either.
Of course and I would pose similar argument that your view are not entirely representative of NA drivers as well. Fact is we don't pay 6-9 dollars per liter and until we do, most red blooded car enthusiast would pay for largest displacement we can afford. As I already mentioned my opinion originates from my personal taste and point of view, 4 cylinder engine may be successful but not with the traditional "luxury" car buyer.

I don't think heavy, high displacement vehicles are going away. SUV sales are returning from the low, and as SCOTT's comments have indicated X5, X6 are hot, even in emerging markets, and cases can be made for Porsche's Cayenne. In fact the panamera and cayenne have been out selling lower displacement, lower emission caymans.

I am going to make a bold claim: most people don't care for the environment until 1) it hurts their pocket book, 2) acid rain comes down in their backyard. If they do we wouldn't need luxury or gas guzzler tax, or mandatory emission standards.