View Single Post
      02-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #54
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Please note the huge popularity of the Audi A4 which is currently available only with a 4 cylinder engine (at least in the US, and I believe worldwide also). It used to be available with a V6 as well, but so few people chose the V6, despite it offering about 45hp more than the 2.0T, that they got rid of it.
Audi's 2.0T success is an excellent point. What happened with them is a shift in buyers demographics. Your regular luxury car buyer, male 35-50 years old, is phasing out of A4 and going into other brand or segments.

A4 is also increasingly purchased by younger and female buyers who are stepping in from the exodus of typical male buyer, who don't want a 4 cylinder. Sure A4 2.0T is a hit but not so much with its historic customer base. I am male, in my 30s, so when I said I don't think people will want a 4 cylinder engine I am speaking from my point generation.

http://www.motorwayamerica.com/edito...t-most-changes

Quote:
Audi captures most young buyers

Nearly one-fourth (23.8 percent) of Audi customers — the largest percentage among the four premium brands — were in the 16-35 year-old age range. That was higher than the percentage of young buyers for the industry, which remained stable at slightly more than 21 percent in the first 4 months of both years
Quote:
In addition to capturing the highest percentage of young buyers among these four premium brands, Audi also increased its female buyer base this year — to 34.2 percent from 33.2 percent a year ago.