View Single Post
      02-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
X1driver
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Question about 19" upgrade for X1

I have ordered a 2012 BMW X1 mineral white with M Sport package here in Canada. I believe I will be one of the first people to receive the M Sport package since most people do not know that you can special order this model right now instead of waiting for 2013 model year when the package will be officially introducted.

Anyhow, while I like the 18 inch "M style" wheels I am interested in upgrading to 19" wheels and changing the tires to non runflat. Because we don't get too much snow here in Vancouver, I am thinking of putting Continental DWS all season in staggered 225-40-19 front and 255-35-19 rear. I've got the tires and wheels all spec'd out but I am having second thoughts about going to non runflat and moving to a larger, lower profile tires. I know there are already a lot of comments about changing to non runflats but many of those comments are on older BMWs and I understand that newer BMWs with newer runflats feel different (ie not as stiff and hard riding).

So the question is... would I still see improvement in ride, quietness, overall feel by changing to non runflat? Would the handling suffer? Does it make sense to move up to 19 inch tires in staggered format? Are the continental all seaons good tires or would I be trading off too much performance by moving away from runflat summer pirelli tires?

I am also undecided about the wheels. I am thinking of going for VMR wheels but there are almost no photos of X1 anywhere on the web with VMR wheels, so I can't decide if they will look OK. Some people recommend BMW replica wheels while others say that they are not well made (especially if they are from China) and not worth buying. I am not sure who makes good replica wheels that are still made in Europe or Japan.

I hope someone can shed some insights or ideas. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 1
Chicone28.00