View Single Post
      01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

x2.81 Mileage in Eco Mode - only 20 mpg after 3K miles?!?

I am majorly bummed out about the POOR highway mileage I am seeing so far with the tiny 'efficient' engine x2.8i X1.

When I am in Eco Pro mode, I only save 5 miles per tank? Are you kidding me? And it turns the car into a completely non-fun Asian-mobile.

I am used to lugging-low-rpm eco driving in my 55mpg TDI - but that is way more fun to drive than the dog-slow can't-creep-out-of-its-own-way eco pro mode X1.

I could live with eco pro - if it was worth it and actually amounted to something. I could live with it if I got the EPA promised 33mpg highway by using it. But no.

I ONLY GET 20.6 mpg to date!! 2K miles of that was in Europe using the superior Euro gas, and 1K miles here with US gas. Almost none of Europe miles were EcoPro, much of the US miles so far are EcoPro. I live in a rural setting, mostly highway miles, no stop-n-go city driving.

The car sucks down gas like an Escalade. Not at all what I expected. I was ready for a range-per-tank drop from my hardly-ever-have-to-fill-up 800-mile-per-tank VW TDI. But I was not expecting having to fill up the tank TWICE just on ONE ski trip!

So I drove all the way to northern VT (3+ hours both ways) exclusively in eco pro mode. It was dog slow and not a fun drive. I saved a grand total of... 13 miles!! And I only averaged 20.3 mpg for the trip!! If I'm in such a non-green gas-guzzling car... I might as well have some fun driving it NOT in eco mode.

I also have the run-flat tires inflated to almost the max pressure on the tires (45/48psi). I should be seeing the EPA 33 mpg easily, but am not.

ECO PRO is a disappointment and seems like a HUGE waste - for the mere 5-13 miles saved it is simply not worth the poor driving experience.

20 mpg to date of mostly highway miles is MUCH worse than I expected from this car.

Am I alone with such poor X1 mileage??
Appreciate 0