View Single Post
      10-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #31
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i (E89)

Finally - a decent test drive (longish)

Well, I seem to have found a few answers - at least for me. I finally had a few spare hours yesterday, shanghaied an X1 at a local dealer and went for a drive for an hour or so. (I'd still like to do it again, for much longer.) I don't know what trim level the vehicle was, but it was clearly not 'loaded'.

In/out ease: Way better than the 335i; I think the seat is probably 4" higher or so. Getting out is clearly a step level > down rather than the 335i's step "up" to get out of the vehicle.

Seat comfort / view / interior: higher position, nice view of the road, a bit constricted in the rear window. Good blind spot views - huge mirrors. Manual seats - had 'em, don't really want them again. Tepidly comfy. Not too impressed with the 'lux' qualities of the interior, but that could be trim level.

Drive (the real test): Hated the auto tranny. (Not the car's fault really, but the shift points seem 'off' to me - I've driven a standard for 40 years and tend to drive hard/aggressively on the engine.) Ride was hard, took bumps well, accelerated decently, corners a bit sluggish and oversteered. Didn't get to high speeds (rush hour) so couldn't test with roof open. Not sure if I can get used to the 'manual' part of the transmission either, at least not without paddles.

First real impressions: I suspect not the car for me as I just never got 'thrilled', though I also didn't really have the ability to get to somewhere I could really put it through its paces. Got back in the 335i, hammered the accelerator and went "ahhhhhh.....". Sigh.
Appreciate 0