View Single Post
      04-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Just to throw this out there. I do not have kids but I've thought about this subject quite a bit over the years. I'm all for safety and small cars IMO just aren't safe if you live where everyone drives bigger and heavier vehicles. An A4 or 3 series (or X1) will be safer than a corolla or civic but I do like the idea that kids have to earn things and I probably would pass on a 'luxury' car at 16..

I'd really consider getting my kids into an F150 or something along that line. I hate trucks, and they're not my thing but an F150 is inexpensive used, cheap to repair, higher off the ground (usually better in an accident if you have a lot of SUV's and jacked up trucks around), doesn't have a lot of power to get them in trouble and if they do hit a curb or object it will do no or very little damage compared to other cars in the same situation. It gives a higher sitting position which I think is helpful to new drivers as well. I hope about when they're 20+ they can afford to buy their own car and will leave the truck category as a distant memory and get a safe, fun, and enjoyable car that they've earned and respect more.
Appreciate 0