View Single Post
      03-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #16
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
This. I asked the service manager at the dealership where in the manual it mentioned anything about maintenance and replacement of the timing chain and guide. He had to admit that it did not. I have been driving for 33 years and have owned 12 cars. Seven of them have had more than 200,000 miles on the clock when I sold them. I have always replaced timing belts at 80k miles but have never bothered with timing chains or guides.

Cars that have timing belts can have plastic guides because they are going to get replaced at 80k miles. A car with a chain should have a metal guide so you do not have to screw with it, that is the whole purpose of the chain.
Another case where a manufacturer chooses to cheap out on a crucial part, saving (only) pennies on something that will have catastrophic results if it fails. I'm surprised by all this as well, I had always thought timing chains were not under the same limitations as belts. You can add this BMW decision to the same ones that gave us 'lifetime' tranny fluid, and 10K oil changes.
Appreciate 0