View Single Post
      08-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
rcw119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F82 Sakhir Orange

We enjoyed your response and agree. Except the wife doesn't like to be referred to as an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
Your method works if the engine is still on, but I believe you're confusing the OP's wife issue (or didn't read what he wrote.)

When she pulls into the garage the engine sometimes stops (shuts off automatically) as part of the auto start/stop feature (just as if you were at a stop light.) If she depresses the engine's Start/Stop button (while the engine is already off), the engine will obviously restart -- exactly what's happening to her now.

Now, if the car is off (but only as part of the Auto Start/Stop) and she forgets to depress the P(ark) button on the shift selector (as you suggest) and inadvertently removes her foot from the brake pedal mistakingly thinking the car is completely off, guess what will happen? That's right... the engine will restart and the car will start to move forward. This could possibly cause some serious damage in the garage if the driver panics. I think it's a good idea to always depress that little "P" button when you arrive at your destination and save yourself a lot of headaches. There might be some new tricks out there with this new techonology, but putting your car in Park has always been the safe thing to do when you arrive at your final destination. BMW has made it super easy to do this by just pressing a tiny little button.

YMMV.
- 2008 E92 335i - 6MT - Sparkling Graphite (Retired)
Appreciate 0