10-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwmiller View Post
Gregthegr8,
In general, the A/C system really doesn't need much maintenance. Belts are cheap and easy to DIY, replace them every 4 yrs/50k miles. If the A/C won't blow cold, look into getting a recharge. Otherwise unless something fails, there is no need to throw money at a slightly noisy but otherwise perfectly functional system.

Also I cannot stress this enough, do not DIY an A/C recharge! Yes, auto parts stores sell recharge kits. They usually forget to mention that these come with a significant risk of "overcharging" the system, which will destroy it in seconds and cost $1000s to repair. Just go to a local shop.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't investigated it too far yet, though it is getting a lil louder I think, but will check it out under the hood with a/c off and then on to see if i can locate where the noise may be coming from such as a belt or pulley. Belts definitely have NOT been replaced since I've had it (almost 5 years) and it blows cold. And yes, I'd rather not throw/waste money at a slightly noisy thing, lest it might lead to some ultimately further and costlier damage down the road due to my procrastination or laziness.
Appreciate 0