View Single Post
      07-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27 View Post
To be honest with you. Everything I've read during the debut of the X1 have indicated that both X1s with the N20 4-cylinder engine come with the hydraulic steering, with Servotronic being an option. The xDrive35i has electric power steering with Servotronic.
I see.

Well, given that the BMW website does not mention electric power steering for the sDrive28i model, I think it is much more likely that it has traditional power steering just like the xDrive28i model does. This also makes much more sense from a parts-sharing perspective (the engine will thus drive the same accesories in either case).

Quote:
The only piece of relevant information (or confirmation) that I got from his response was that the Servotronic option doesn't not cause the hydraulic power steering to be replaced with an electric power steering.
Yes, this has been a source of confusion before. As the blurb I quote above points out, Servotronic is really a technology developed for traditional non-electric power steering systems. Newer electric systems can vary steering assistance simply using software since by their vary design they control the steering motor's input independently of the vehicle's engine.

It is curious, though, that BMW lists Servotronic as a standard feature for the apparently EPS-equipped xDrive35i (assuming the information on BMW's website at the link provided above is correct - thanks CanadianDriver and X1driver). I suppose this is just the marketing department wanting to show the additional content vs. the 28i models. The fact is that BMW has yet to produce a vehicle with EPS that does not have vehicle speed (rather than engine speed as is typical) dependent steering, and I don't see the X1 becoming an exception.
Appreciate 0