View Single Post
      10-31-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

LOL all you guys' argument about weight transfer M sports sending more torque to the rear and so on are just argument for wider tires being better. When the weight does transfer to the back on a RWD or mostly-RWD car, then the width of the fronts does not matter and has no influence on the grip in the back.

I personally did find the X1 to feel a little bit under-tired in the front and too much under steer for MY taste (your mileage and taste may vary). It was very obvious on the track, but also on the road in some occasions. But obviously no-one will argue that under steer is not safer for most people most of the time, and that said there is still a lot of grip available in the front and you have to be having fun in the twisties to start feeling that under steer.

I would probably (when it's time to change the front tires) look at what it possible to go one size wider in the front, it would still be a staggered setup though because there is a lot of difference in width between those fronts and the backs.

Which brings us back to the reason BMW went with this 225/255 choice in the first place: looks only? 225 not enough in the back?
Appreciate 0