View Single Post
      07-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpistemicConfusion View Post
I can only think of 2 things that "brake assist" could refer to.

The first doesn't apply to the situation you are describing, but is a safety feature where the car notices you panic braking and "assists" by braking more. This avoids the common problem in emergencies where drivers under brake.

The second is, to quote BMW's website:

This does not use the brakes, and I do not know of any way to disable it. I'm thinking something may be wrong if it is noticeable. Does driving in sport or manual mode eliminate the problem?
The second thing you mentioned is the alternator being engaged. You would not feel the alternator being engaged as it uses the engine and does not affect your speed. The alternator disengagement is used so when you press the throttle, you do not waste any horsepower on the alternator, thus creating a better hp at the wheels. When companies list hp, it is usually listed at the crank, but energy is lost through the alternator, cooling fan, gear case, transfer case etc. BMW designed the alternator with a clutch to disengage when applying throttle. The cooling fan has its own electric motor so that it doesn't take away hp.

I agree with others stating that the transmission shifting down naturally slows the car.
Appreciate 0