View Single Post
      07-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

I can only think of 2 things that "brake assist" could refer to.

The first doesn't apply to the situation you are describing, but is a safety feature where the car notices you panic braking and "assists" by braking more. This avoids the common problem in emergencies where drivers under brake.

The second is, to quote BMW's website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/x/x1/2012/showroom/efficiency/brake_energy_regeneration.html#t=l
Brake Energy Regeneration.

Until now, braking meant energy loss. Brake Energy Regeneration puts an end to this by regaining energy during braking to charge the battery.

As soon as you release the accelerator or apply the brake, the generator is engaged and converts excess kinetic energy into electrical energy. Once the battery is fully charged, the generator is disengaged from the engine. This decreases the load on the engine, reduces emissions and saves fuel. The targeted generation of electrical energy also has another advantage: At full acceleration, the engine also has the propulsive force at its disposal that would otherwise be channelled off to charge the battery in conventional systems. The result is an increase in both cost-efficiency and driving fun.
This does not use the brakes, and I do not know of any way to disable it. I'm thinking something may be wrong if it is noticeable. Does driving in sport or manual mode eliminate the problem?
Appreciate 0