View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

I'm sure we (Aus and Canada) subsidize the pricing in the US. Their 1M's are the same price as what our X1's are. BMW Germany must produce each model with a view to a certain level of profit tallied up worldwide. So it's no wonder the US hasn't got the x1 yet. BMWNA probably wouldn't pay enough for cars for BMWGermany to bother making them.

I don't agree that the interior is cheap, but that's a very personal opinion anyway and the interior is not something I'm overly concerned with in any car (not high on my priority list). Having said that BMW do rip off customers with the profit margin on things like leather seats for $2K which are only 20-30% real leather, pricing for very basic electronics such as comfort access, USB conectivity, stereo upgrades, etc. Personally I'm Ok paying excess with the idea that what's underneath the car is the best handling/engineering available. I love the way it drives.

It's not very reassuring when the company skimps on minor spending when you're paying such a high premium. What you do hope is that that perception of BMW's premium nature remains and that the company doesn't go cheap or undersell you before you're ready to trade in.
Appreciate 0