View Single Post
      04-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver E90 View Post
The interesting part of this though is they say engine supplier, not constructor. The same engine that they supply to an Formula 1 team can be used in LMP1 in the WEC. So in theory they would get the most bang for the buck by building an engine, supplying it to F1 teams AND build a LMP1 car around it to run in the WEC & Le Mans. There are rumors of Ferrari returning to LMP1 in the near future because they can use the same engine in LMP1.
True, but I don't know how eligible the current F1 spec engine is for LMP1. AFAIK, you can't just plunk your F1 engine into an LMP1 chassis and go racing; I think there are slight differences in the regulations. I could be completely wrong, but I seem to remember reading something to that effect.

And even still, we'd be talking about a forced induction V6, something BMW has never ever ever ever built in its 100 year existence. I can definitely see them doing some sort of 'LeMans based' racing like they did with the old LMR-V12, but with an engine configuration they're already producing. If F1 moves to turbo inline four cylinders, then I could see BMW getting back in as an engine supplier.

Time will tell, but dear god do I miss rooting for BMW in F1. I still wear my 10 year old Williams-BMW hats on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0