View Single Post
      12-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
The sharp cutoff is an acquired taste, and you'll find it works really well in rain, snow or fog, with far less bounceback. Concur that factory halogens are often less than satisfactory; I've been putting E-codes in the Jeeps for 20 years, and fitting them with 100w bulbs and relays under the hood. Part of the problem in most vehicles is voltage drop when the power has to be run to the steering column and then back to the lights, often a considerable distance. There is little advantage to bumping the wattage without the relays.
The E-code 100w setup is virtually as good as Xenons IMHO, and doesn't blind anyone if set correctly.
Short of the relays, an improvement in halogens can be achieved with Sylvania SilverStars, which are noticeably brighter/whiter than OEM.
Twix, if you're putting those HIDs in halogen housings, I'll be looking for your lights with a BFH (last word is 'hammer') . Seriously, those conversions make a ton of light, but it is wildly unfocused and blinds the oncoming traffic no end...frequently there is no provision for high beams as well, or the brights seem to be on all the time...hope that's not the kind of conversions you and your roomie are considering.
Squishy, thnx for originating the thread, and do post pics. I wouldn't mind raising my lights just a little, but I'm really happy with the brightness and sharp cutoff.
Best,
Moon
Silvania Silverstar ultra indeed make a huge difference and provide semi HID lighting, but they last about a year, sometimes 6 months.
Appreciate 0