03-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Curious, what's your plan if you do get a flat with a non-RFT?
I am considering getting non-RFT's for my winter rims, but I have a buddy mechanic
that could fetch my summer tire to get me going again in case of a flat.
Although, changing a flat in the winter could totally suck, especially if its cold, and snowing out.
So, I'm not sure what to do yet.
I was under the same dilema for a while now.
But, RFT are harsh, heavy, and very expensive. I paid for one RFT the price of two NonRFT. And I was lucky I don't have too many miles on the car. They said I am still ok buying only one. But if I need to buy two? Here it goes over $1000, right? And I don't intend to buy two only, I always buy a nice new set, I am very considerate with my cars. I mean, I run them until 50% and then buy a new set.
Not to mention, all my life I never got a flat. It might be bad luck but I do believe that RFT are not that elastic and more prone to flats.

Bottom line, I think I will have a better ride, quietter for sure, it will be easy for the car to spin a less heavier tire and probably even my gas consumption will go a litle bit down. Who knows...
However, I bought a Mobility Kit from BMW. I don't know if it works but I have it. For long trips, I intend to order that donut that some people get, put it in the trunk, and God Help Me.

RFT are not good on a long run anyway. If you get a flat, you need to run at a certain speed (which is ok) but a certain number of km. If after that I am lucky enough to reach a tire shop, I will have the surprize to find out that they don't carry RFT because they are rare and special order. In a big city, even the dealer had only one in stock that was actually waiting for another customer and they gave it to me, because that guy suposed to come in three days later. One tire in stock! Otherwise 4 days waiting! And yes, it cost me $530!

Bottom line, there is a risk anyway, but at least I am takink the one with more options and a better ride.

PS
And one more thing: this GoodYear RFT tire is the single one that really mess up my garage, always leaves black marks on the floor and I hate cleaning that.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-26-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0