View Single Post
      08-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #35
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Thanks, did not know about the resetting option. Not sure I understand your "slippability" though. RFT ride harder as they have thicker tyre walls but the rubber compound is the same as normal tyres. The problem with "normal" tyre compounds (RFT and non-RFT) are that they get harder as the temperature drops. Tyre manufacturers generally regard 7C (44.6F) as the dividing line between winter and summer tyres. Below 7C normal tyres get very hard with a corresponding reduction in traction. Winter tyres have a higher proportion of silica content keeping them "soft" at colder temperatures. A common misconception is that winter tyres are for snow and ice, which is not strictly true. They are for low temperatures which up here in Scotland means anything from November to March every year. The tread patterns are however also optimised for driving in very wet weather or snow. Of course they get softer as the temperatures go up as well which means you need to change them again for summer. Traction on ice requires studs (which are illegal in the UK) or chains/cables (illegal on dry roads).
I'm led to believe that the tread pattern of RFT's (certainly the ones I've got), cause problems and are slippier on wet/ice etc. I also believe this is due to the harder side walls of these tyres
Appreciate 0