View Single Post
      03-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Ok, it turns out that the tweeters I bought snap into the stock tweeter locations perfectly! Like magic.

I found some aftermarket woofers on Bavauto that are not as expensive as the alternatives, but are designed to fit the three-bolt pattern for BMWs. Given the price, I decided to try replacing those too. No information on these, but they look good.

I did one door so far. Results are not unlike my expectations. Volume of new woofer is lower (less efficient) than stock woofer. New tweeter is brighter (has more higher frequencies). Even if all you did was replace the tweeter and left the stock woofer, it would be an improvement, at least for hearing cymbals and higher frequencies. Replacing the woofer, however, is a mixed bag. The volume is lower, so you won't be able to crank it as loud, but the stock woofers sound strained when played loudly. The bottom-line is, it only matters if the new speakers play loud enough with the stock amp. I think so, but I don't think I'll know for sure until everything is swapped over.

Of course, I added some Dynamat to the door before putting it all back together.

The door was easier to work on than on my old VW, although kind of similar.

I'll try to put together a bit of writeup, but still have another door to do. Hopefully it'll go faster, now that I kind of know what I'm doing. In theory. :-)
Appreciate 0