View Single Post
      12-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Audio: Anyone modify the tweeters?

With a couple of past cars, I thought that maybe the midrange wasn't so bad and maybe the best bang-for-the-buck would be to swap out the tweeters. The main problem with that is that swapping out random components doesn't necessarily make them work well together! So, usually I just replace the factory sets with a component set, woofer and tweeter.

For the X1, I'm back to wondering if the midrange is good enough, and maybe the tweeter could be replaced? Is the woofer a full-range? What is the crossover value for the stock tweeter?

I did some searching but really couldn't find anything that specific about the tweeter. In the past, I looked up options for the X1, and it seems kind of limited. Bavsound's kit is $500, and includes the rear speakers that I never hear and so I don't care about. Focal's kit is only the fronts, but costs over $500. What if I could swap out the tweets for closer to, say, $50? :-)

(The Alpine kit is probably for the lower level stereo that we don't get in the US.)

Any other suggestions?

I'm a bit afraid to do my usual audio modifications with the BMW, as it seems it is pickier about modifications, CANBUS and all. (Are there pinouts of the wires coming out of the factory amp in the rear? That might be another way to tap in some modifications...) I can find bits and pieces of info, but mostly about other BMW models.
Appreciate 0