View Single Post
      09-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #64
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Turbo install is almost done. We had some issues with the baseline dyno that we think is related to the M-sport performance control programming.

This is a dyno dynamics dyno which means a couple of things (besides the fact that they are the lowest reading dynos on the market). It is an AWD dyno with the front and rear rollers UNLINKED.

On the X1, even if you disable DTC and DSC the m-sport torque vectoring remains active. So when the car detects the front and rear wheels rotating at even slightly different speeds, it applies the brakes and pulls power to straighten it out. On the track this is a good thing as it helps the car turn in better and rotate better, but on the dyno it basically means that it is taking forever for the throttle to open. Even if we floor the pedal, we can see in the JB4 logs that the ecu is not allowing the throttle to open up until about 6k RPM. It's a gradual upwards slope, which means that the power output is not going to be as high as it should be on the dyno.

Even so, we hit 340whp baseline before the new turbo. That is equivalent to about 380whp on a dynojet. If the throttle was working right I am guessing I would be about 360whp.

We will see what the turbo does shortly. I will dyno it again anyway but not sure it will provide useful data due to the throttle issue.

We might try pulling ABS or DSC fuses and see if that turns off the performance control.
Appreciate 0