View Single Post
      06-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

The engines are really not that different in weight, I think around 60lbs but I couldn't find the answer in a quick google search.

The 35i may weigh 175lbs more than the 28i but those curb weights are not fair for comparing. In the 35i you get bigger brakes, sunroof, powered seats, and other optional features included in that weight that are not part of the 28i's standard curb weight. The whole engine weight difference pretty much is pointless if you're lb counting and still adding luxury options.

If you drive both the 35i and 28i in depth you'll realize the two are very different in engine response and a slight difference handling. If you are not running autocross or are considering staggered tires then the engine weight is very a minor point. I originally was happy with the performance of the 28i but the cost difference for the options I wanted made the two models very close so I test drove the 35i and I realized I would quickly regret not getting the 35i. IMO there is a huge difference between the two in the way they drive and simply boosting the 28i will not give you the same response as a 35i.

Honestly no X1 will ever match a 335xi so you will probably be deciding if lower performance vs even lower performance and saving a little money is what you want.
Appreciate 0