Thread: Any 6MT news?
View Single Post
      10-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
You make perfect sense to me, I am no fan of the auto manuals. My wife's car is a G37 with a 7-spd auto and I just leave it in full auto mode virtually every time I drive it. Cannot get into shifting without a clutch....
I also agree with these sentiments. While I do regret not ordering the paddle shifters so I could try them out for myself and since they were so inexpensive, the reason I didn't order them is my experience with the VW DSG transmission. As an automatic transmission, I actually think the DSG transmission is excellent if you take reliability concerns out of the equation-- its manual transmission roots help -- but its no fun in that car at all to do manual shifts. Without the clutch, I simply don't feel involved and I feel lost like I'm sort of playing a boring video game in which I don't have an appropriate feel for the game. With a boring video game, you simply stop playing before perfecting your skills and that is how I feel with manual mode shifting with the DSG.

I got a lightly optioned X1 in part since I want to be able to justify in my mind possibly getting a fun manual based sports car within the next couple of years to go alongside it.

If I didn't live in a high traffic area, I would certainly get a manual car as a daily driver but I only switched after driving manuals in heavy traffic for 12 years.
Appreciate 0