10-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear View Post
I like heavy feel and don't like 4WD, I was hoping that the servotronic would tighten up the steering, but I guess it's the opposite: (
I can chime in here. You're in luck because I have sDrive w/ Servo and I believe it's heavier than w/o Servo. I say I think bec I've only drive the non-sevo sDrive once and it was definitely too light. W/ the Servo it's a LOT better, but still a bit light when slow and slightly artificial; at speeds over 50 MPH it's very nicely weighted.

I'd definitely try to drive both to confirm my impressions before you order.

After I found out the sDrive was definitely going to have EPS I immediately thought that I got suckered into paying for nothing since Servo is nearly free to implement (software mostly). I assumed all BMW EPS systems have Servo, why not?, most of their other cars have it standard. Only in the X1 do they have Servo as an option and that's bec they wanted customers to pay for the added expense of Servo associated with the hydro system, mandatory on all xDrives. If it weren't for hydro steering I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have the Servo option and it would just be Standard. So, perhaps the software code IS different if you order Servo for the the sDrive (EPS only), but the upcharge, though worth it, is still a rip off.
Appreciate 0