Thread: X1 vs. Audi Q3
View Single Post
      01-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Rockfish66
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xdrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
As far as a standard Q3 goes, I would be shocked if they put the Q5 V6"T" in it. More likely it will be a horizontally mounted 2.0TFSI ala the A3 Quattro and this means Haldex FWD bias as well. If they're smart they'll do the Q5 longitudinal 2.0TFSI and give it true Quattro but most consumers have no idea what the difference is so why bother?

If a Q3 RS is the I-5 turbo, it will be crappy Haldex with FWD bias and BMW hydraulic steering is guaranteed to be better than Audi. Power on the Audi would be better though. Anyway, I think assumptions are fairly safe based on what Audi has done in the past. No matter though a Q3 RS won't be available in states. Has standard Q3 even been confirmed for the U.S. yet?
If Audi is interested in competing with with the X1 on price the Q3 will likely also have to be built on a less expensive (A3 vs A5) platform that has already been amortized - a parts-bin special. As you say, the target consumer has no idea, or interest, in the difference between AWD systems, etc, so Audi would be shrewd to just jack up a standard A3 with some new sheet metal and be done.
Appreciate 0