02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
Out of curiousity, isn't diesel more expensive than premium? Here in Leesburg VA, for today, one local outlet is selling premium at 3.75 per gallon and 3.89 per gallon for diesel.

Factoring in MPG for X1 vs the CX-5, at the end of the day, would the CX-5 come out cheaper than the X1? Do you really get that much more value for diesel than premium? I'm not an expert on engines, but from a performance perspective, I had read that in general, diesels are not as "peppy" ? Or has technology gotten to the point where diesel engines are now on-par with turbo?

Just wondering! Thanks, Vince.
In my travels here in the midwest (primarily Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin), diesel prices are all over the place. Unlike gasoline, the prices are very inconsistent from station to station. I would say as a rule the price is close to premium, maybe a bit above. But there were times last year when diesel was not just cheaper than premium, but it could be found for less than the cost of regular unleaded.

As a rule, diesels are low HP, high torque engines. They move well off the line, but they tend to lose grunt at higher RPM's. They're great for towing and stop-and-go driving, and very efficient for highway cruising at steady rpm's. VAG diesels are known to exceed their EPA highway ratings.

The Mazda Skyactiv-D breaks some paradigms by using a lower compression ratio than a typical oil-burner. The result is a diesel that doesn't require exhaust after-treatment to meet emissions requirements. Lower compression ratio also means less stress on components, so lighter materials can be used, including the engine block which is made of aluminum instead of cast iron. Obviously I have not experienced it myself, but those who have claim it still has impressive torque, but maintains power at higher engine speeds making it behave more like a gasoline engine.

Aside from better fuel efficiency, diesels tend to maintain their value better over time. Much of the investment put in up front can be recovered at resale, and the fuel savings is gravy. Time will tell if the Mazda diesel does the same. You also have the benefit of extended driving between fill-ups, which for me would be a huge benefit.
Appreciate 0