11-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #10
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
Shorter springs won't help.
I think we're having a miscommunication here. If you can't get the collars low enough with springs of your current length because you've bottomed out the collar on the sleeve, shorter springs will absolutely allow you to lower the car more. Spring length (and rate) dictate your ride height.

Edit: I just watched your video on helper springs. In the video, that strut assembly has plenty of threading to go lower before the lower spring perch or collar hits the sleeve (the cup that threads on the strut from the bottom). The problem is, his springs are too short, and as such, when the car is in droop the spring will be unloaded, which is dangerous. The solution is to keep some preload on the spring with the helper. The other option is to simply use a longer spring in the first place, allowing you to lower the collar without the spring going slack.

In distinction, you described a situation where the spring's lower collar was bottoming out on the sleeve, or at least I thought that's what you were saying. You said:

Quote:
When you adjust the fronts all the way down, they will eventually hit the bottom of the strut housing.
I thought you were describing adjusting the collars all the way down until they hit the sleeves, and not being able to achieve you desired ride height. If that's the case, the helper spring is only going to increase your ride height, and your solution is either to cut the sleeve so you can thread the perch lower, or use a shorter spring in the first place.

So...what problem are you having?

1. Can you not go lower because you've threaded the collar all the way down to the sleeve, or

2. As shown in the video, can you not go lower because you've threaded the collar to the point that you remove the preload from the spring?

If 1, you need a shorter spring or a trimmed sleeve. If 2, you can use a helper, or just a longer primary spring.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 11-16-2016 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0