Thread: Tires, again
View Single Post
      04-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I'm driving a E84 2015 M Sport with GoodYear EfficientGrip Run Flat. My first X1 ( 2012 ) had OEM Pirelli Centurato Run Flat which I had to change after only two summer. To replace those Pirellis, I picked Bridgestone Potenza S001 Run Flat. The pattern is awsome and it has a really great grip. They would have last longer than the Pirellis so they would be a good choice.

The new Bridgestone Driveguard are intriguing. The UTQG is higher than the Potenza S001 so they will for sure last longer and they are cheaper. But they will be more "touring" than "Sport".

For the price I would choose:

1- Bridgestone Driveguard Run Flat UTQG 460 A A
2- Bridgestone Potenza S001 Run Flat UTQG 280 A A
3- Goodyear Efficient Grip Run Flat UTQG 340 A A

My favorite to date is the Potenza S001 followed by the Efficient Grip that I'm driving right now. Good balanced between comfort, durability and sportiness.

The Potenza S001 is way ahead the best looking and sportiest of the 3 though. It would have lasted at least 3 summer I think.

You have other options with Dunlop, Continental and Pirelli but they are very pricey compared to those three.

The UTQG is :

460 the Thread. Ho long will it last. The Higher the better. In normal condition ( light foot ) you should get around ("460" X 2 X 100 ) minus 10 000 so around 82 000 Km out of a 460 rated tire.

Know that 400 on a Pirelli could be different than 400 at Bridgestone. This is tricky but the rule of thumb I gave you should do the math you need to choose.

So around 50000 Km for a 280 and 60 000 from a 340.

But this is also related to the first "letter"

The first letter is often a double letter like " AA ". This mesure the breaking performance on wet surface ( traction ).

A Tire with better traction should wear quickly than one with an " A " traction. Better the grip quicker the wear.

A is very good. AA is excellent and so on ...

The last "letter" is a reference to the "Temperature" always single letter here.

Again "A" is the best. You will also see "B" sometimes. If you drive in hot weather ( california, florida, texas ... ) "A" should be your goal.

Hope this will help you !
Appreciate 0