View Single Post
      02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #91
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
On the 8sp ZF there is practically no delay. It shifts faster than you could humanly shift with a MT (my other car is a Honda S2000), even multiple gears in a single shift (if your fingers are fast enough!). The 6sp on my 2009 128i (GM) & 335i (ZF) shifted much slower and only one gear at a time. However, some have reported the 6sp on the X1 35i is a newer ZF version and shifts faster than on my old E82/E9x.

If you want to manually shift, get the paddles. Manually shifting with the stalk is awkward in comparison IMHO (my parents don't have paddles in their 328i).
I would definitely end up with the paddles. Coming from MT in my snow car, I'd go nuts driving straight auto again.

What I'm curious about, though, is how bad is the car programming about actually executing the shifts the driver initiates in certain conditions. My last auto car was a 2001 325i and it would usually shift decently but, say, down shifting going into a turn would suffer long delays before an actual down shift occurred (after I initiated it)....like the car thinks too much. Outside of a money shift, I wouldn't expect delay. Is that the case?