View Single Post
      03-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

The bimmerscoding guy is one of the pioneers that first tried Alpina B3 trans flash for our transmissions and also helped work out the kinks like paddle shifters not working. I went through him also. I would recommend you get your own cable though and preferrably have an old XP laptop that you could use for dedicated coding. He will set it up remotely and leave it like that so that in the future you can do your own, knowing you have a working setup (which like others have said is the hard part). I bought the expensive cable from One Stop that is linked in the Alpina tutorial. A few months ago, the dealer erased all my coding and Alpina flash when I had the combox retrofit but was able to redo the flash myself.

That said, I find that MyCarly is the way to go for easy coding. I would recommend the official MyCarly adapter with it.

Alpina Flash is definitely worthwhile if you use the manual shifting a lot. Some find the shifts are not the smoothest because they are so fast. I use manual shifting 99% of the time and love the flash--feels like a different car.

JB4 is easy to install. The directions for E90 are good enough to install it on our cars. Just remember to set the JB4 to "stock" when going for service or coding or diagnostics. I also had issues doing coding/diagnostics with the engine running so don't do that and make sure your battery is good and has charge. Performance and drivability is awesome. More effortless acceleration! You probably have one of the fastest crossovers short of a Macan Turbo!
Appreciate 0